Definition and Meaning of YOKE
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
yoke means :
- A bar or frame of wood by which two oxen are joined at the heads or necks for working together.
- A frame or piece resembling a yoke, as in use or shape.
- A frame worn on the neck of an animal, as a cow, a pig, a goose, to prevent passage through a fence.
- A frame or convex piece by which a bell is hung for ringing it. See Illust. of Bell.
- A bent crosspiece connecting two other parts.
- A tie securing two timbers together, not used for part of a regular truss, but serving a temporary purpose, as to provide against unusual strain.
- A band shaped to fit the shoulders or the hips, and joined to the upper full edge of the waist or the skirt.
- Fig.: That which connects or binds; a chain; a link; a bond connection.
- A mark of servitude; hence, servitude; slavery; bondage; service.
- Two animals yoked together; a couple; a pair that work together.
- The quantity of land plowed in a day by a yoke of oxen.
- A portion of the working day; as, to work two yokes, that is, to work both portions of the day, or morning and afternoon.
- To put a yoke on; to join in or with a yoke; as, to yoke oxen, or pair of oxen.
- To couple; to join with another.
- To enslave; to bring into bondage; to restrain; to confine.
- To be joined or associated; to be intimately connected; to consort closely; to mate.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.