Definition and Meaning of TONE
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
tone means :
- Sound, or the character of a sound, or a sound considered as of this or that character; as, a low, high, loud, grave, acute, sweet, or harsh tone.
- Accent, or inflection or modulation of the voice, as adapted to express emotion or passion.
- A whining style of speaking; a kind of mournful or artificial strain of voice; an affected speaking with a measured rhythm ahd a regular rise and fall of the voice; as, children often read with a tone.
- A sound considered as to pitch; as, the seven tones of the octave; she has good high tones.
- The larger kind of interval between contiguous sounds in the diatonic scale, the smaller being called a semitone as, a whole tone too flat; raise it a tone.
- The peculiar quality of sound in any voice or instrument; as, a rich tone, a reedy tone.
- A mode or tune or plain chant; as, the Gregorian tones.
- That state of a body, or of any of its organs or parts, in which the animal functions are healthy and performed with due vigor.
- Tonicity; as, arterial tone.
- State of mind; temper; mood.
- Tenor; character; spirit; drift; as, the tone of his remarks was commendatory.
- General or prevailing character or style, as of morals, manners, or sentiment, in reference to a scale of high and low; as, a low tone of morals; a tone of elevated sentiment; a courtly tone of manners.
- The general effect of a picture produced by the combination of light and shade, together with color in the case of a painting; -- commonly used in a favorable sense; as, this picture has tone.
- To utter with an affected tone.
- To give tone, or a particular tone, to; to tune. See Tune, v. t.
- To bring, as a print, to a certain required shade of color, as by chemical treatment.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.