Definition and Meaning of SOFT
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
soft means :
- Easily yielding to pressure; easily impressed, molded, or cut; not firm in resisting; impressible; yielding; also, malleable; -- opposed to hard; as, a soft bed; a soft peach; soft earth; soft wood or metal.
- Not rough, rugged, or harsh to the touch; smooth; delicate; fine; as, soft silk; a soft skin.
- Hence, agreeable to feel, taste, or inhale; not irritating to the tissues; as, a soft liniment; soft wines.
- Not harsh or offensive to the sight; not glaring; pleasing to the eye; not exciting by intensity of color or violent contrast; as, soft hues or tints.
- Not harsh or rough in sound; gentle and pleasing to the ear; flowing; as, soft whispers of music.
- Easily yielding; susceptible to influence; flexible; gentle; kind.
- Expressing gentleness, tenderness, or the like; mild; conciliatory; courteous; kind; as, soft eyes.
- Effeminate; not courageous or manly, weak.
- Gentle in action or motion; easy.
- Weak in character; impressible.
- Somewhat weak in intellect.
- Quiet; undisturbed; paceful; as, soft slumbers.
- Having, or consisting of, a gentle curve or curves; not angular or abrupt; as, soft outlines.
- Not tinged with mineral salts; adapted to decompose soap; as, soft water is the best for washing.
- Applied to a palatal, a sibilant, or a dental consonant (as g in gem, c in cent, etc.) as distinguished from a guttural mute (as g in go, c in cone, etc.); -- opposed to hard.
- Belonging to the class of sonant elements as distinguished from the surd, and considered as involving less force in utterance; as, b, d, g, z, v, etc., in contrast with p, t, k, s, f, etc.
- A soft or foolish person; an idiot.
- Softly; without roughness or harshness; gently; quietly.
- Be quiet; hold; stop; not so fast.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.