Definition and Meaning of ROCK
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
rock means :
- See Roc.
- A distaff used in spinning; the staff or frame about which flax is arranged, and from which the thread is drawn in spinning.
- A large concreted mass of stony material; a large fixed stone or crag. See Stone.
- That which resembles a rock in firmness; a defense; a support; a refuge.
- Fig.: Anything which causes a disaster or wreck resembling the wreck of a vessel upon a rock.
- The striped bass. See under Bass.
- To cause to sway backward and forward, as a body resting on a support beneath; as, to rock a cradle or chair; to cause to vibrate; to cause to reel or totter.
- To move as in a cradle; hence, to put to sleep by rocking; to still; to quiet.
- To move or be moved backward and forward; to be violently agitated; to reel; to totter.
- To roll or saway backward and forward upon a support; as, to rock in a rocking-chair.
- A shaft that oscillates on its journals, instead of revolving, -- usually carrying levers by means of which it receives and communicates reciprocating motion, as in the valve gear of some steam engines; -- called also rocker, rocking shaft, and way shaft.
- An oscillating bar in a machine, as the lever of the bellows of a forge.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.