Definition and Meaning of ON
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
on means :
- The general signification of on is situation, motion, or condition with respect to contact or support beneath
- At, or in contact with, the surface or upper part of a thing, and supported by it; placed or lying in contact with the surface; as, the book lies on the table, which stands on the floor of a house on an island.
- To or against the surface of; -- used to indicate the motion of a thing as coming or falling to the surface of another; as, rain falls on the earth.
- At or near; adjacent to; -- indicating situation, place, or position; as, on the one hand, on the other hand; the fleet is on the American coast.
- In addition to; besides; -- indicating multiplication or succession in a series; as, heaps on heaps; mischief on mischief; loss on loss; thought on thought.
- Indicating dependence or reliance; with confidence in; as, to depend on a person for assistance; to rely on; hence, indicating the ground or support of anything; as, he will promise on certain conditions; to bet on a horse.
- At or in the time of; during; as, on Sunday we abstain from labor. See At (synonym).
- At the time of, conveying some notion of cause or motive; as, on public occasions, the officers appear in full dress or uniform. Hence, in consequence of, or following; as, on the ratification of the treaty, the armies were disbanded.
- Toward; for; -- indicating the object of some passion; as, have pity or compassion on him.
- At the peril of, or for the safety of.
- By virtue of; with the pledge of; -- denoting a pledge or engagement, and put before the thing pledged; as, he affirmed or promised on his word, or on his honor.
- To the account of; -- denoting imprecation or invocation, or coming to, falling, or resting upon; as, on us be all the blame; a curse on him.
- In reference or relation to; as, on our part expect punctuality; a satire on society.
- Occupied with; in the performance of; as, only three officers are on duty; on a journey.
- In the service of; connected with; of the number of; as, he is on a newspaper; on a committee.
- Forward, in progression; onward; -- usually with a verb of motion; as, move on; go on.
- Forward, in succession; as, from father to son, from the son to the grandson, and so on.
- In continuance; without interruption or ceasing; as, sleep on, take your ease; say on; sing on.
- Adhering; not off; as in the phrase, "He is neither on nor off," that is, he is not steady, he is irresolute.
- Attached to the body, as clothing or ornament, or for use.
- In progress; proceeding; as, a game is on.
- They say, or it is said.
- A flying report; rumor; as, it is a mere on dit.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.