Definition and Meaning of HOOP
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
hoop means :
- A pliant strip of wood or metal bent in a circular form, and united at the ends, for holding together the staves of casks, tubs, etc.
- A ring; a circular band; anything resembling a hoop, as the cylinder (cheese hoop) in which the curd is pressed in making cheese.
- A quart pot; -- so called because originally bound with hoops, like a barrel. Also, a portion of the contents measured by the distance between the hoops.
- An old measure of capacity, variously estimated at from one to four pecks.
- To bind or fasten with hoops; as, to hoop a barrel or puncheon.
- To clasp; to encircle; to surround.
- To utter a loud cry, or a sound imitative of the word, by way of call or pursuit; to shout.
- To whoop, as in whooping cough. See Whoop.
- To drive or follow with a shout.
- To call by a shout or peculiar cry.
- A shout; a whoop, as in whooping cough.
- The hoopoe. See Hoopoe.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.