Definition and Meaning of EYE
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
eye means :
- A brood; as, an eye of pheasants.
- The organ of sight or vision. In man, and the vertebrates generally, it is properly the movable ball or globe in the orbit, but the term often includes the adjacent parts. In most invertebrates the years are immovable ocelli, or compound eyes made up of numerous ocelli. See Ocellus.
- The faculty of seeing; power or range of vision; hence, judgment or taste in the use of the eye, and in judging of objects; as, to have the eye of sailor; an eye for the beautiful or picturesque.
- The action of the organ of sight; sight, look; view; ocular knowledge; judgment; opinion.
- The space commanded by the organ of sight; scope of vision; hence, face; front; the presence of an object which is directly opposed or confronted; immediate presence.
- Observation; oversight; watch; inspection; notice; attention; regard.
- That which resembles the organ of sight, in form, position, or appearance
- The spots on a feather, as of peacock.
- The scar to which the adductor muscle is attached in oysters and other bivalve shells; also, the adductor muscle itself, esp. when used as food, as in the scallop.
- The bud or sprout of a plant or tuber; as the eye of a potato.
- A small loop to receive a hook; as hooks and eyes on a dress.
- The hole through the head of a needle.
- A loop forming part of anything, or a hole through anything, to receive a rope, hook, pin, shaft, etc.; as an eye at the end of a tie bar in a bridge truss; as an eye through a crank; an eye at the end of rope.
- The hole through the upper millstone.
- That which resembles the eye in relative importance or beauty.
- Tinge; shade of color.
- To fix the eye on; to look on; to view; to observe; particularly, to observe or watch narrowly, or with fixed attention; to hold in view.
- To appear; to look.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.