Definition and Meaning of BY
Find meaning and definition of the different words on this page. If you are stuck at a word and not sure if it is valid or not or what does it mean then simply paste that word here and get the complete definition of that word.
by means :
- In the neighborhood of; near or next to; not far from; close to; along with; as, come and sit by me.
- On; along; in traversing. Compare 5.
- Near to, while passing; hence, from one to the other side of; past; as, to go by a church.
- Used in specifying adjacent dimensions; as, a cabin twenty feet by forty.
- With, as means, way, process, etc.; through means of; with aid of; through; through the act or agency of; as, a city is destroyed by fire; profit is made by commerce; to take by force.
- Near; in the neighborhood; present; as, there was no person by at the time.
- Passing near; going past; past; beyond; as, the procession has gone by; a bird flew by.
- Aside; as, to lay by; to put by.
- Out of the common path; aside; -- used in composition, giving the meaning of something aside, secondary, or incidental, or collateral matter, a thing private or avoiding notice; as, by-line, by-place, by-play, by-street. It was formerly more freely used in composition than it is now; as, by-business, by-concernment, by-design, by-interest, etc.
Source: All the definitions provided here are from WordNet 3.0 by Princeton University
Maximum 18 letter words are supported. If a word has more than one meaning then this checker will search for all possible results and it will show you all those meanings found on the dictionary. If you think any word has been listed in a wrong manner, or you think that something is wrong with the meaning/definition listed on this page then feel free to send us a message. We will reply you as soon as possible.